Why does my PS5 keep turning off?
If your PS5 turns off by itself, it might not be that big of a deal. Try one of these simple fixes to fix it.
It isn’t very pleasant when your PS5 turns off on its own. The bad news is that you’re not alone; other people have the same problem. The good news is that you can fix it by following a few simple steps.
This article is a step-by-step, detailed guide to fixing your PS5, including how to fix the firmware or turn off the rest mode, among other things, and what to do if none of those work for you.
How to make sure your PS5 doesn’t turn off by itself while you’re using it.
These are the six most common reasons why PS5 might suddenly turn off. Make sure the error is fixed by following the steps.
1. Get the PS5’s firmware up-to-date.
The PS5 would sometimes shut down for no reason because its software wasn’t up to date. It might seem like a simple answer, but it’s still a possible answer that won’t take much time.
Here’s how you can update the firmware on your console:
1. Get your PS5 connected to the internet.
2. Go to Settings > System > System Software > System Software Update and Settings.
3. Click System Software Update.
4. Choose Update Over the Internet.
5. Click Update to start making changes to your system.
If you can’t connect your PS5 to the internet, try updating it manually with a USB drive.
2. Turn off the rest mode.
Even if you didn’t do it, your PS5 may go into “rest mode” and turn off. Even though the rest mode is helpful because it lets you charge the controllers and download games without using all of the console’s full power, it’s not worth it if the system shuts down randomly.
How to turn off the rest mode:
1. Go to the Settings menu on the PS5,
2. Go to Power Saving,
3. Select Rest Mode,
4. Choose “Set Time until PS5 Enters Rest Mode,” and in the drop-down menus for “During Media Playback” and “While Playing Games,” choose “Don’t Put in Rest Mode.”
3. Turn off the device link for HDMI.
This is a great feature, but you might have to give it up if it makes the PS5 shut down when you don’t want it to. You can set up an HDMI device link so that when you turn on your PS5, the TV turns on automatically. Unfortunately, this can go wrong and cause the PS5 to turn off while it’s being used.
Here’s how to stop the HDMI device link feature from working:
1. Go to the Settings menu on the PS5.
2. Click on “System.”
3. Go to HDMI.
4. Stop the HDMI Link from working.
4. Check your source of power.
If your PS5 is plugged into the same extension as other devices that use power, your PS5 may have to turn off.
1. You could fix this by connecting the PS5 directly to the power outlet.
2. Another solution is to check the cord to see if it’s broken at one or both ends. If it’s not broken, it might not be the main problem, but you can try to replace it with a different one.
3. You can also try a different plug-in on the wall.
4. A broken power supply is a common problem, so you will need to replace it. Before you fix the console, make sure it isn’t too hot.
5. Problems with overheating
Even though it seems like a frustrating choice, it’s one of the best for airflow.
Most of the time, your PS5 will turn off on its own to keep the hardware from getting too hot and breaking.
Here’s how to tell if overheating is the main problem:
- Turn off the console.
- Hold off for at least an hour.
- Move the console to a place with good airflow.
- Make sure that all the vents are clean and that air can flow through them well.
- Restart the console.
- If ventilation is still a problem, you may need to clean or replace the fan.
6. Try to rebuild the database on the PS5.
Here’s how to rebuild the database on a PS5:
- Turn off the PS5 to start.
- To get into Safe Mode, hold the console’s power button for a few seconds.
- Use a USB-C cable to connect the Dual Sense controller to the PS5 and turn it on.
- Choose Rebuild Database and then click OK.
- Wait until the database is reconstructed.
If none of these solutions work, try contacting PlayStation support. They might walk you through some more troubleshooting steps, and if you need it, they would also help you replace options.