How to Connect 2 AirPods to One Phone? – Before You Start
Have you ever wished you could listen to music with a friend during a long trip without playing it on the loudspeaker? You can do this by connecting a pair of earbuds and using one each.
However, you’ll only get one channel of sound, not to mention sharing earbuds isn’t recommended for hygiene reasons.
The thought of using a friend’s earbuds, not knowing who has used them before, is enough to make you hesitate.
However, Apple fixed this in 2019 by rolling out the ‘Audio Sharing’ feature. This feature allows you to connect a second set of AirPods to an iPhone.
Now you and your friend can stream music or watch music on one device using two sets of AirPods. That said, let’s look at how to connect two sets of AirPods to one phone.
Connect The Second Set of AirPods to Your iPhone
Apple’s ‘Audio Sharing’ feature allows you to connect two pairs of AirPods to a single iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch. This allows you to seamlessly share any type of audio to both sets of AirPods without any lagging or stutter.
1. To connect the second set of AirPods to an iPhone, start by opening the AirPods case.
2. Now you’ll see a pop indicating that those aren’t your AirPods, but you can still connect them to your iPhone. Click on the ‘Connect’ button.
3. Next, hold down the button on the back of the case to put them in pairing mode.
4. The AirPods will connect to your iPhone, and you’ll see their battery status pop up on your screen. Finally, click on ‘Done.’
Play Music on Two Pairs of AirPods
Now that the second pair of AirPods is connected to your iPhone, you can control the audio from the various AirPlay menus.
This includes the Apple music app, the ‘Now Playing widget on the ‘Control Center,’ and the lock screen.
In this section, we’ll look at how to use the AirPlay menu in the Control Center.
1. Start by accessing the ‘Control Center’ by swiping down from the upper-right corner of your iPhone’s screen. If you own an iPhone with a Home button, swipe up from the bottom area of your screen to access the ‘Control Center.’
2. Next, hold down the ‘Now Playing’ widget to expand it.
3. Then click the ‘AirPlay’ button.
4. At this point, you’ll see all available audio output devices. If your AirPods are connected, they’ll be shown as the current output device.
Under your AirPods, you’ll see a second pair of AirPods; click on the empty checkmark box next to them.
5. Now both sets of AirPods can be used as the audio output on your iPhone. What’s more, you’ll be able to control audio from both sets of AirPods independently or together.
6. Use the slider under each set of AirPods to adjust the volume.
There is another way to share sound from one iPhone to two sets of AirPods that doesn’t require the setup process above.
Instead, you connect to a friend’s iPhone that already has a pair of AirPods connected to it.
This feature is only accessible on iPhones with Bluetooth 5.0. This means that your iPhone must be iPhone 8 or higher to support this feature.
1. If your iPhone and that of your friend are running iOS 13 or higher, all your friend needs to do is place their iPhone on top of yours.
A pop-up notification will appear on your iPhone asking if you’d like to share audio from your iPhone with your pal’s AirPods.
2. To have both sets of AirPods streaming audio, make sure your AirPods are connected.
3. Now open the ‘Control Center’ by swiping down from the upper-right corner of your iPhone’s screen. If you have an iPhone with a Home button, swipe up from the bottom area of your screen to access the ‘Control Center.’
4. Next, click on the AirPlay icon in music controls.
5. The friend whose AirPods you want to share audio with should ensure that their AirPods charging case is open and the buds are inside.
6. Then they should hold the AirPods in the case close to your iPhone.
7. When your pal’s AirPods appear on the Control Center, click on ‘Share Audio.’
8. Now when your friend put the AirPods in their ears, they should hear music or whatever else is playing on your iPhone.
Thanks to Apple’s revolutionary Audio Sharing feature, you’ll no longer miss out on the basic functionality of splitting audio on your iPhone.
You and your friend can listen to the same tracks or watch the same movie without sacrificing an earbud.