How to Connect Printer to Chromebook – Getting Started
If you’re a Chromebook user, chances are that you’ve never actually used your machine to print a document. This is because Chromebook’s are designed to primarily focus on Google’s cloud services and have almost no need for the actual paper.
However, there’re exceptions, and the user of paper isn’t entirely obsolete. For instance, you might need to print a word document, a flight ticket, or a movie ticket.
So it’s always good to know how to add any printer to your Chromebook.
Printing from a Chromebook has been simplified over time, but still, the process is not very straightforward on how to begin and the steps that follow.
That said, let’s take a look at how to add various printers (both wireless and wired) to a Chromebook.
How Do You Add a Newer Wireless Printer?
If you have a somewhat new printer that’s internet-ready, you should be able to add it directly to Chromebook without using any extra software or system tweaks.
So, ensure that your printer is on and linked to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromebook.
The process of connecting a printer to a Wi-Fi network varies from one brand to the next, but you should find an internet or Wi-Fi option somewhere in the settings or on the printer’s display as the normal Wi-Fi icon.
If your printer is connected to Wi-Fi, what do you do next?
1. Start by clicking the time section in the lower-right end of your Chromebook’s display.
2. Then click on the gear-shaped sign to open settings.
3. Next, type “print” into the search bar at the top of the settings section
4. Then select “Printers.”
5. Click on the blue “Add Printer” icon.
6. Next, click on your printer’s name on the list, and click on the blue “Add” icon to finish the pairing.
Once the setup is complete, you should be able to print immediately.
Also, if you want to print anything in the future, you won’t have to repeat the entire process except picking the printer you wish to use if you have several of them.
How Do You Add an Older Wireless Printer?
If your printer doesn’t appear on the list, chances are that it’s an older but internet-ready device. So how do you add an older wireless printer?
1. Start by clicking on the “Add Manually” icon that appears on the bottom left corner
2. Next, a prompt will appear to give your printer a name. Just add any name.
3. You’ll need to type the printer’s IP address in the “Address” section. You can find your printer’s IP address on its display menu or in the settings. Click on the blue “Add” icon.
4. Next, enter your printer’s manufacturer, for instance, Epson or HP, and the model “WF-2530” or “Officejet Pro 8600” and pick the correct options as they appear.
5. When you’re done, click on the “Add” icon.
Note that Chromebooks also work with the “Google Cloud Print” framework. This is the more direct connection alternative between Chromebooks and printers.
How Do You Add a Wired Printer?
If you’re using a relatively old printer that’s not internet-ready, no need to worry, you can still connect the printer manually to a Chromebook using a USB cable.
1. Start by connecting the cable to your printer and then connect the other end into the Chromebook. Note that the printer USB cable you have might not be compatible with the ports on your Chromebook, so you might need an adapter.
2. Next, open the settings on your Chromebook and type “print” into the search bar at the top of the settings panel.
3. Then click on “Printers.”
4. Next, click on the “Add Printer” icon.
5. Click on your printer’s name and click on the “Add” icon to complete the setup.
How Do You Print a Document On a Chromebook?
Once you’ve successfully added a printer to your Chromebook, it’s time to print a document or webpage. The process is super easy, and it involves the following steps.
1. Open the document or webpage you want to print.
2. Next, press Ctrl + P simultaneously.
3. Then click on the downward pointing arrow next to “Destination.”
4. Next, click on “See more.”
5. Then pick your printer. If you don’t see your printer, click on the “Manage” icon.
6. Next, click on “Print.”
Before pressing the “Print” button, ensure that all the print settings are as you want them. You can click on “More Settings” to change items such as the paper size or layout.
All in all, it’s pretty easy to add a printer to Chromebook and print documents and webpages.
Printing is not very common among Chromebook users because Chromebook’s center around Google’s cloud services; but, once in a while, you might need to print something.