You can easily connect a printer to your Chromebook by following the steps below. Remember that Chromebook doesn’t support bluetooth printing as of yet. So, to connect your chromebook to your printer you have two options; wired or wireless connection
Scenario 1: How to connect a printer to a Chromebook (via USB cable)?
The Chromebook can be easily connected to a printer via a USB cable. Just make sure to use a high quality USB cable for the purpose. Afterward, connect the USB cable’s respective ends to the Chromebook and the Printer’s USB ports.
The system will prompt you with a notification once the connection is established between the devices via USB. Follow the on-screen instructions to pair the Chromebook with the Printer.
Scenario 2: How to connect a printer to a Chromebook (via WIFI)?
Ensure that both the devices are connected with the same Wifi network. To proceed with this task, turn on the Printer and try connecting it with the Home wifi network. Refer to the Printer’s user manual or simply visit the manufacturer’s website if you face any issues related to the printer and the Wifi connection.
Afterward, power on the Chromebook and connect it with the same Wifi network. You can get ahead with the process by selecting the TIME option available on the screen’s bottom right. Once done, tap NOT CONNECTED.
Chromebook will prompt you with the available list of WIFI networks. Check the name of your home Wifi network and select CONNECT. Both the Printer and the Chromebook are now successfully connected to the same network.
Afterward, tap on the same TIME option at the bottom right part of your Chromebook screen. Once done, go by the steps below:
Settings > Advanced> Print and Scan > Printers >your printer name
Once done, simply select the AVAILABLE PRINTERS TO SAVE option next to your Printer’s name and tap on SAVE. You will now find your Printer on the top of the SAVED PRINTERS list.
The Printer is successfully paired with the Chromebook and you can now proceed with the printing and scanning process.
Printing documents via the Printer
- Select the document or page you want to print and press CTRL+P
- Tap on the down arrow ↓sign available next to the DESTINATION option.
- Opt for SEE MORE and then select your Printer’s name
- The Printer must show up in the provided list automatically. If it doesn’t, tap on MANAGE
- Select PRINT and the Printer will proceed with the rest of the task
Scanning the documents via the Printer
Not every Printer comes with a scanning capability. Hence, check about this feature before proceeding with the further task. Once confirmed, follow the below steps carefully.
- Tap on the TIME option located at the bottom right part of your Chromebook’s screen.
- Tap on Settings and proceed towards Advanced Settings.
- Tap on the SCAN option available under the “Print and scan” category
- You can also search for the Scan app by opening the launcher and typing SCAN
- Once done, tap on your device name under the SCAN list, and you will be prompted with specific options in the DOWN ARROW ↓menu located on the bottom right
- Decide on random aspects like page size, color mode, resolution, and scan options while tapping on MORE SETTINGS
- Tap SCAN, and the Printer will start ahead with the scanning process according to your needs and preferences.
All the scanned and printed files are then saved to your preferred location on the Chromebook. You can search them through while checking on the SHOW FILE LOCATION option.
Points to ponder about while connecting a printer with a Chromebook
In case the Printer’s name isn’t saved automatically, you must start ahead with the advanced setup process. Moreover, if the printer name doesn’t come up in the drop-down menus, the Chromebook may not be compatible with the device.
It would help if you used a “Generic” Postscript Printer Description (PPD) from the drop-down menus or mention your PPD.
Chromebooks utilize PPD files to accommodate printers. These PPD files are pretty dissimilar from printer drivers and further instruct your Chromebook regarding its support to a specific printer model. To start ahead with the process, check out for a box appearing adjacent to ‘SPECIFY YOUR PRINTER PPD”.
Afterward, tap on BROWSE and select your PRINTER PPD, and tap on OPEN. Do remember that Chromebooks only support file formats like .ppd and .gzip, coming with a file size up to 250KB.
You can easily connect your Printer to a Chromebook while following the steps mentioned earlier. Still, a lot depends on the compatibility between the Printer and Chromebook. Hence, do check for the list of printer models supported by your Chromebook beforehand.