How to Use Google Home Mini as Bluetooth Speaker Without WiFi
Is it possible to use the Google Home Mini as a Bluetooth speaker without access to the internet?
Yes, it’s possible; Google was able to solve the problem of users being unable to use older versions of the Home app without WiFi.
For the first several versions of Google Home, the sole connectivity option was WiFi.
However, owing to the Google Home Mini’s recently added Bluetooth functionality, you’ll be able to connect your smartphone to it and use it as a standard Bluetooth speaker!
It’s worth mentioning that this is only doable if you’ve already paired the devices while they were connected to WiFi.
So, how can you pair and use it as a Bluetooth speaker if you haven’t connected it to WiFi? No need to panic, it’s pretty easy, and in this review, we’ll go over how to utilize your Home Mini as a Bluetooth speaker even if you don’t have WiFi.
Connect Google Home to Smartphone via Bluetooth
The first step in using your Google Home Mini as a Bluetooth speaker is to pair it with your smartphone and make it discoverable. There are two ways to do this:
The first is asking Google Assistant, “Hey Google, Bluetooth Pairing.” Google will respond and tell you the speaker is discoverable using the name you gave it during setup.
Unfortunately, this method is only available when connected to WiFi.
For the second approach, you don’t need to have WiFi; you can use the Home app on your Android or iOS smartphone. So how do you do this?
- Start by opening the Home app on your smartphone.
- Next, click on the Home speaker you want to use.
- Click on the gear icon in the upper-right corner.
- Next, click on ‘Audio’ and then ‘Paired Bluetooth devices.’
- Then click on ‘Enable Pairing Mode’ at the bottom of your screen.
- After enabling Bluetooth pairing mode, you can connect the Home Mini to your Android or iOS smartphone just as you would connect any other Bluetooth speaker.
- Now all you need to do is look for the speaker in your smartphone’s Bluetooth settings and connect to it. Then you can go ahead and stream tracks saved on your smartphone.
Connect Google Home to a Laptop via Bluetooth
The process of connecting your Home Mini to a macOS or Windows OS laptop via Bluetooth is virtually the same as connecting to your phone.
- Ensure the Home Mini is in pairing mode using either the Home app.
- Then once you see the lighting flicker, head to your PC’s Bluetooth settings and add the name of the Home Mini you’d like to pair it with.
Can You Connect to Music Platforms Without WiFi?
You can also connect your Home Mini to streaming applications and play music over Bluetooth. And we aren’t talking about online streaming; we are talking about accessing downloaded offline music on Apple Music, Pandora, Spotify, etc.
However, you need WiFi for the initial setup process; then, once you are correctly set up, you’ll be able to access your music without WiFi. To do this:
- Open the Home app and click on the gear icon.
- Next, scroll down until you see ‘Rooms, Groups, and Devices’ and click ‘Add.’
- Head to ‘About New Devices’ and then ‘Add Services.’
- Pick the music platform you want to use; it will be the default service moving forward.
Troubleshooting Connection Problems
So if you’ve followed the steps above and still your Home Mini isn’t functioning properly as a Bluetooth device, here is a step-by-step process to troubleshoot connection problems.
- Start by power cycling your Home Mini by disconnecting it from power.
- Leave it for about two minutes like this.
- Remove the pairing from your PC or smartphone.
- Factory reset your speaker by pressing and holding the reset switch for 15 seconds. Once you hear a chime, it means the reset is done. Start the setup process from scratch.
It’s simple to use your Google Home Mini as a Bluetooth speaker without connecting to the internet.
Both devices need to pair to one another before you can connect your smartphone to it the same way you would with a regular Bluetooth speaker!
To sum it all up, the Home Mini is a great tool to have when you’re building a smart home.
Not only is it handy when it comes to responding to any queries you might have and as a smart hub, but you can also use it as a Bluetooth speaker and listen to music or podcasts.