How to Connect Ring Doorbell to Google Home?
When it comes to securing and monitoring your property, nothing does a better job than the modern smart devices that have begun being used all around. In addition, smart devices such as speakers allow you to control other smart devices such as thermostats and lighting.
In this context, doorbells are no compromise. Smart doorbells have gained momentum over the past decade and have been popularized by Google’s Nest lineup and Amazon’s Ring lineup. The Amazon Ring doorbell, for instance, works well with Alexa and with Google Assistant.
However, Google has not gone out of their way to enable compatibility with other smart devices because they make their own smart devices. Fortunately for Ring users, the Doorbell works well with the Google Home speaker.
Google Home and Ring doorbell work together, and you can control some aspects of the Doorbell using Google Assistant. So let’s look at how the Doorbell connects to Google Home.
Connect Ring Doorbell to Google Home Via the Home App
We will start by assuming that you have already downloaded and installed the Google Home App on your iOS or Android smartphone or tablet. You might also need to download and install the Ring app as well.
Then open your browser on your phone and open the Google Assistant ring services page. Next, click “Send to Device” and select the Google Home you want to link to the Ring Doorbell. This should prompt a pop-up on your smartphone telling you to link Google and Ring.
To connect the Ring doorbell to Google Home via the App:
- Launch the Google Home App on your iPhone, Android smartphone or tablet
- Click on the plus (+) sign
- Then click ‘Set Up New Device’
- Select the device you want to connect to
- Follow the guidelines given
- Click on ‘Allow’ to enable Google Home to control the device
- Finish the setup process by clicking ‘Done.’
Tip: As you can see, connecting the Ring doorbell to Google Home using the Home app doesn’t take long, but you can speed it up if you have the box that came with your Ring doorbell. On the box, there is a QR code you can scan and immediately connect the Ring doorbell to Google Home.
Connect Ring Doorbell to Google Home Via Google Assistant
- Open your browser on your PC and search for the Google Assistant ring services page.
- At the top right corner of the screen, enable sending to the device
- Select the device you want to connect to the Ring Doorbell
- On your phone, a pop-up message will appear
- Click on the pop-up message to connect Google Home and the Ring Doorbell
- Proceed to log in using your Ring username and passcode
Tip: If you like, you can also open the Ring web page on your smartphone. Rather than a browser tab, the web page will open in the Home app and you can click on ‘Link’ to immediately connect your Ring doorbell to Google Home.
How Do You Control the Ring Doorbell with Google Home?
Once you’ve completed the necessary setup stages, you should be able to set tasks using either the Google Home or Ring App. Some of the things you can do include giving your Ring Doorbell a name and including other people who can use the Doorbell.
This is a handy feature, particularly if you have several doorbells linked to your Home Wi-Fi network. Setting up the doorbell name is relatively straightforward:
- Open the Google Home App on your Android or iOS smartphone or tablet
- On the Home screen, go to ‘Settings.’
- Enter a ‘Name’ for your Ring Doorbell
- Click to ‘Save’ the name of your Doorbell
You can also add other people who can use the Doorbell by following these steps:
- Open the Ring App on your Android or iOS smartphone or tablet
- Click on the ‘Menu’ and go to ‘Settings.’
- Click on the plus (+) sign
- Enter the new user’s Email Address
- Pick from Owner, Guest User, or Shared User Roles
- Finishing by ‘Sending Invite’
Which Commands Can You Give the Ring Doorbell Via Google Home?
Pairing the Ring Doorbell with Google Home enables the Doorbell to perform some essential functions with just a few add-ons. The Ring doorbell can be controlled with the Ring app, which is available on Android and iOS.
Most of the features on the Ring app can also be found on the Google Home App. These functions enable you to give the Ring Doorbell commands such as:
- Turning Ring notifications on or off
- Turning gesture notifications on or off
- Confirm the last time the Doorbell rang
- Command The Bell to start recording footage
- Confirm the battery percentage of the Ring Doorbell
All in all, Home automation can be somewhat daunting, mainly when you’re using devices made by different manufacturers such as the Ring Doorbell and Google Home. However, 3rd party creators are doing all they can to make these devices compatible on various platforms.