How to Take a Screenshot on a Dell Laptop?
Knowing how to screenshot or record your screen is becoming a vital productivity skill, particularly for persons who work remotely from home.
If you own a dell desktop or laptop and want to learn how to screenshot, whether for personal or work reasons, you’re in the right place.
Taking screenshots and saving them on a Dell laptop is super easy. The good thing is once you learn how to do it on your Dell laptop, you can apply the same on all other Windows OS laptops running Windows 8 and higher.
You can use three methods to take a screenshot on your Dell laptop, and in this review, we’ll look at all of them in detail.
Print Screen Method
You can use the Print Screen (PrtSc) button on your dell laptop keyboard to screenshot. Depending on the keys you press, you can save the screenshot as a JPG or PNG image or copy it to your clipboard and paste it into an email, word document or website.
Steps to Take a Screenshot on a Dell Laptop
- On your Dell laptop keyboard, look for the Print Screen (PrtSc) button; this button is usually situated in the upper right corner next to the Fn keys.
- If it’s not there, it might be embedded in the Fn keys, especially in the F10 key. If you don’t see the Print Screen (PrtSc) button click on Alt + Insert.
- To screenshot and save the image directly on your Dell laptop, open the screen you want to capture and press ‘Windows + PrtSc.’
- This command will capture your screenshot, and you can save it as a JPG or PNG file. The image has a Windows-generated name which you can change. You can also change the default screenshot folder and save it somewhere else.
Keep in mind that the Print Screen (PrtSc) button on Dell laptop keyboards could have other labels like PrtSc, PrtScn or PrntScr.
Also, note that if you’re using a convertible (2-in-1) Dell laptop, when the keyboard is detached, you can hold down the ‘Power + Volume Down’ buttons to screenshot.
Snip & Sketch Method
Dell laptops running Windows 10 or higher have a built-in screenshot tool called snip & sketch.
It’s more engaging than the print screen method because you can capture a specific section of your screen, capture a delayed screenshot and edit screenshots.
- To quickly screenshot using snip & sketch, press ‘Windows + Shift + S’ keys on your keyboard. Your screen will blur for a moment, and the cursor will become a crosshair.
- You should see a bar with a couple of buttons at the upper part of your screen.
- Click on the screenshot mode you want to use and drag from left to right to screenshot.
- After screenshotting, a notification will appear on the notification tray, indicating the image was copied to the clipboard. You can copy and paste it to an email, word document, website, or any other app that supports images.
Note the screenshot modes you choose from have the following functions:
- Close Snip: Use this to close the overlay without screenshotting.
- Freeform Snip: Use this option to take an irregular shape of your screen using your mouse, and if you have a touchscreen Dell laptop, you can use a stylus.
- Full-Screen Snip: Use this option to capture your entire screen.
- Rectangular Snip: Use this option to draw a rectangle over your display using your mouse. Your laptop will save the contents inside the rectangle.
- Window Snip: When you select this option, your cursor will become a crosshair which you can place on top of a window to only screenshot that window.
3rd Party Application
You can also download and install a 3rd party screenshot application like Vidmore Screen Recorder to screenshot on your Dell laptop. The benefit of this app is that it has multiple editing features and allows you to record your Dell laptop screen.
- After downloading and installing the app, launch it and click on ‘Snap Shot’ on the main menu. This is a small icon on the right side of your screen.
- Next, move your cursor to select one window or screenshot your entire screen. You can also drag your mouse to select a rectangular or square area you want to capture.
- Once you have selected the section you want to screenshot, you can crop or use editing tools like paint, pen, text, etc.
- Finally, click on ‘Save’ to save the image on your Dell laptop.
In conclusion, you can use the in-built screenshot tools, print screen and snip & sketch to easily screenshots on your Dell laptop.
However, if you want a more engaging way to take screenshots, download a 3rd party application like Vidmore Screen Recorder.