Connecting AirPods to Laptop
Pairing your AirPods to a laptop requires you to go through a couple of extra steps compared to Apple devices such as iPads, iPhones, MacBooks and Mac desktops.
However, the process is relatively easy if you know what to do.
Why? Because, like any other wireless audio device, AirPods have Bluetooth integrated into them and even better, they have Bluetooth 4.2. As a result, they can connect to devices not manufactured by Apple, including gaming consoles and laptops.
Before we look at how to connect AirPods to a laptop, it’s important to note that sometimes you might not see the Bluetooth option on your laptop.
Why? Because it might have an outdated Bluetooth driver so, confirm if your laptop has the latest Bluetooth driver.
After confirming that your laptop has the latest Bluetooth driver, you can connect AirPods to it regardless of whether it’s the 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation of AirPods.
The Setup Process
1. Click on the right side of your screen on the taskbar, a menu should appear.
2. Next, click on ‘All Settings,’ this button has a gear-like icon.
3. Then click on ‘Devices.’ This option is next to ‘System‘ and ‘Phone‘ settings.
4. Next, click on ‘Bluetooth and Other Devices.’ This button is located on the left side of your screen, albeit it should be selected automatically.
5. Then click on ‘Add Bluetooth or another device‘ at the top. Ensure you toggle the switch next to Bluetooth; otherwise, it’s impossible to connect AirPods to your laptop or any other Bluetooth device for that matter.
6. Next, click on ‘Bluetooth‘ at the top of the menu that appears. You should see a menu on your screen that lists Bluetooth devices ready to pair.
7. Then place your AirPods inside their charging case, close it and wait a couple of seconds.
8. Next, open the AirPods charging case and keep it open with the earbuds inside until you’re done connecting them to your laptop. Also, ensure that the battery level of your earbuds isn’t too low while connecting; it should be no less than 20%.
9. Then hold down the button on the AirPods charging case until the LED light starts flickering. Note that for older generations of AirPods, the LED light is inside the case, but for newer AirPods generations, it’s at the front. Wait until the light turns white.
10. Your AirPods should appear under Bluetooth devices, ready to pair. Click on your AirPods and give them some time to connect.
11. Now when your AirPods connect to your laptop, a text indicating they’re ready to go should appear on your laptop’s screen.
12. Finally, click on Done to close the Bluetooth devices menu. Now you can take out your AirPods from the case and use them to listen to music, podcasts, watch movies etc.
Keep in mind that your laptop will keep a record of your AirPods. So the next time you want to use them to listen to audio from your laptop, look for them under the list of available Bluetooth devices and connect them. Sometimes your AirPods might reconnect automatically.
How to Disconnect AirPods from Laptop
Note that once you pair your AirPods to a laptop, you might run into problems when you try to connect them to other Bluetooth-ready devices.
If you want to ensure that your AirPods can automatically connect to other devices like your smartphone, it might be best to disconnect them from your laptop. So how do you disconnect them from your laptop?
1. Click on the Windows start menu.
2. Next, click on ‘Settings,’ this application has a gear-like icon.
3. Then click on ‘Devices.’ This option is next to ‘System‘ and ‘Phone‘ settings
4. Next, click on ‘Bluetooth and Other Devices.’
5. Under ‘Audio‘ device, you should see your AirPods.
6. Next, click on the button labeled ‘Remove Device.’
7. Finally, click ‘Yes‘ to confirm you want to disconnect AirPods from your laptop.
My AirPods Won’t Connect to My Laptop; What Should I Do?
Ensure The AirPods Charging Case Is Fully Open
Your AirPods will only connect to your laptop if the charging case is fully open and after you click the setup button until the LED light turns green; make sure you do this.
Switch off Bluetooth on Other Connected Devices
If you’ve paired your AirPods with other devices like your smartphone, this might interfere with connecting them to your laptop. So switch off Bluetooth on your smartphone.
In conclusion, connecting your AirPods to your laptop is just as easy as connecting any Bluetooth audio device since AirPods have Bluetooth.
If and when you want to disconnect them from your laptop, just place them back inside their charging case and close it.