How to Cast From Chromebook – Overview
A fast, efficient laptop or tablet is incredible but the only drawback tends to be their small screen size, especially if you use it for entertainment, like watching online videos or music.
For instance, watching a movie on a large-screen TV is way more enjoyable than watching it on a laptop or tablet, such as Chromebook.
Thanks to the amazing features, Chromebook is incredibly flexible and can be cast to different devices easily. Let’s find out how to cast different devices to Chromebooks.
How to cast from Chromebook to TV
Chromebook can be easily cast onto a smart TV so that you can enjoy your favorite movies and shows on a larger screen.
Once you know how to do this, you can turn your house into a movie theatre for movie nights or family gatherings.
Two ways to help you to cast from Chromebook to TV, are:
1 – Connect Chromebook to TV with an HDMI cable
If your Chromebook comes with an HDMI port, then it can easily be connected to a smart TV using an HDMI cable.
On the other hand, if your device comes with a USB-C port instead, then you should buy a USB-C adapter to connect with an HDMI cable.
Here are the simple steps that help connect a Chromebook to a TV using an HDMI cable:
1. Plugin one end of the HDMI cable into the port on your Chromebook. If you are using an adapter, then first connect the HDMI cable to the adapter and then insert the other end of the HDMI cable into one of the USB-C ports available on your Chromebook.
2. Next, insert the other end of your HDMI cable into the TV. Usually, HDMI ports on HDTVs can be found on the side of the screen, on the bottom, or the rear panel.
3. Switch on and boot up your Chromebook,
4. Switch on the TV and select the correct input channel – such as HDMI1, HDMI2, etc.
5. This enables the TV to show the partial screen of your Chromebook. To switch to full-screen mode, you may have to make changes in the TV settings. To do this, click on the CLOCK at the bottom right corner of your screen, then click on “Settings” (gear icon).
6. Once Chromebook settings are displayed, scroll down the screen to find the “Device” option and then select “Displays” within it.
7. Check to enable the box titled “Mirror Internal Display”.
Now, your entire Chromebook screen should be visible on the HDTV. As you open apps and browse the web like normal, you will have an amazing and much larger view of your laptop/tablet screen.
This is one of the most popular ways to watch streaming videos and movies on YouTube and Netflix.
2 – Connect Chromebook to TV wirelessly
All Chromebook laptops and tablets are designed to be compatible with Chromecast devices.
Once you have Chromecast connected and installed on your TV, you need to follow these steps if you want to cast the Chromebook to the TV without cable or wirelessly.
1. Click on the CLOCK on the Chromebook shelf and then click on “Cast”.
2. Choose the Chromecast device from the list.
3. Once the pop-up window opens, you will need to select your desktop type and then click on “Share”.
This will immediately start to cast your Chromebook screen onto the HDTV without the need to use HDMI cables.
How to Cast Chromebook to TV without Chromecast?
If you don’t have Chromecast and wish to connect your Chromebook to HDTV without it, then follow these simple steps given below:
1. Get an Android TV box subscription and device.
2. Connect it to your HDTV and Chromebook using an HDMI cable
3. Make sure that your TV is tuned to input from Android TV.
4. Open the Chrome browser in the Chromebook and click on the three-dot icon and then click on “Cast”.
5. Once the setup is complete, you will be provided a list of choices with different options for connecting the Chromebook to the TV screen.
6. On the lower right-hand corner at the bottom bar, click on “Cast devices available” to check which casting options are available.
If you want to cast everything from your Chromebook to the HDTV, then click on the “Internal Display” option and then select “Share”.
To play YouTube videos from Chromebook to TV, click on the “Play on TV” button. It is a rectangle with three curvy lines in the lower right corner of the YouTube player screen.
For Netflix, you can use the same method as for YouTube, by clicking on the “Cast” icon at the bottom right corner of the Netflix player screen.
How to cast Phone to Chromebook (iOS and Android)
It is easy to cast a phone to a Chromebook, provided that your smartphone has Android version 4.4.2 or higher.
To prevent sudden power drainage in your phone, it is recommended to keep your phone charging, especially when casting the phone to Chromebook.
Here’s how to cast an Android phone to Chromebook:
1. Open Google Home App (the same one you use to set up Chromecast)
2. Tap on the Menu button at the top-left corner of your screen
3. Tap on “Cast Screen/Audio at the top of the drop-down menu
4. Next, tap again on the “Cast Screen/Audio” button before selecting Chromecast from the list.
These four simple steps are sufficient to cast the Android phone screen to Chromebook.
To cast iPhone to Chromebook, you will need to download a special app. Our top three choices of apps that connect iPhone to Chromebook are:
- Reflector 3
Simply download any one of these apps on your iPhone and follow the steps given below to cast your Apple iPhone to Chromebook:
1. Connect your iPhone and Chromebook within the same Wi-Fi network
2. Launch the app you have downloaded
3. Click on the “Show QR code” button
4. Then scan the QR code on the Chromebook using your iPhone
These four steps are enough to cast your iPhone to Chromebook.
How to mirror Chromebook to Roku?
Roku TV is extremely popular and one of the top favorite streaming devices for millions of users worldwide.
Undoubtedly, you would want to cast your Chromebook to Roku for an incredible viewing experience on HDTV.
Here’s the simple step-wise process to mirror Chromebook to Roku:
- Connect the HDMI adapter to your Chromebook
- Attach the HDMI cable to the HDMI adapter
- Connect the other end of the HDMI cable to your HDTV
- Switch on your HDTV and Chromebook and your TV will display the Chromebook screen
The exciting features of Google’s Chromebook get multiplied when you can view things on a large-screen high-definition TV.
Follow the simple steps given above to cast the screen of different devices, such as Chromebook, Android, and iPhone onto your smart TV.
Feel free to let us know how this guide helped you by dropping in a comment below.