How to Screen Record on MacBook Pro? – Overview
You ever wondered how to screen record on a MacBook? Luckily it’s easy to learn how to do this and record online classes, tutorials, video gameplay, and more.
A MacBook screen recorder accompanied by audio is especially useful for customer support representatives that need to guide customers through a product problem.
There are two main ways to screen record on a MacBook without additional software. Below we have discussed how to screen record using keyboard shortcuts and QuickTime.
We will also discuss the 3rd option of screen recording on a MacBook for persons interested in using 3rd party apps with an additional feature, so read on to find out more.
How to Screen Record on MacBook Pro: Keyboard Shortcuts
- Start by pressing and holding the Command + Shift + 5 buttons on your MacBook keyboard. This will launch the screenshot toolbar at the bottom of your screen.
- Click on either ‘Record Entire Screen’ or ‘Record Selected Portion.’ The fourth button after ‘x’ allows you to record the whole screen. Finally, the fifth button allows you to record a screen portion. You can see what each button does by hovering over each icon.
- If you decide to record a portion of the screen, a box with broken lines will appear. Now you can click and drag the edges of the box around what you’d like to capture.
- Next, click on ‘Record.’ This option is on the far-right side of the toolbar.
- Finally, click on the circle icon with a square inside at the top of your screen to stop recording. Otherwise to stop recording, click Command + Control + Esc.
If you’d like to record audio or voice while screen recording, click on the ‘Options’ button in the screenshot toolbar. From there, you can also pick where to save the recording, set a timer before the recording begins, and indicate your mouse clicks in the video.
How to Screen Record on MacBook Pro: QuickTime
If you have an older MacBook Pro or Keyboard shortcuts, don’t do it for you, you can also screen record using the QuickTime Player application.
- Open the QuickTime Player app. This is an app that’s pre-installed on MacBooks. If you don’t see it in your ‘Applications’ folder, you can download it on the App store.
- Next, click on ‘File.’ This option is on the Apple Menu bar at the top of your screen.
- Click on ‘New Screen Recording.’ This will launch the screen recording tab.
- Next, click the red button to begin recording your screen. You can click anywhere on the screen to record the whole screen. In addition, you can drag to record a specific part of the screen and then click on ‘Start Recording’ within that area.
- If you’d like to record audio, click on the arrow and select the mic you want to use.
- Next, click on the black circle in the menu window to stop recording. Otherwise, you can click on Command + Control + Esc to stop recording.
- After you click on stop, QuickTime will launch the recording automatically. You can then decide to edit, play or share the recording. In addition, you can save it by clicking on ‘File’ then ‘Save’ in the QuickTime menu or by clicking Command + S.
How to Screen Record on MacBook Pro: 3rd Party App
Would you like to screen record on your MacBook without Keyboard shortcuts or QuickTime? A couple of screen recording applications in the App Store are available for MacBooks. For this discussion, let’s look at the Droplr app.
Key features of this app include:
The Droplr app has a couple of different integrations to use alongside the native Mac Screen recorder.
These include intercom, sketch, slack, Photoshop, and more. Incorporating all your tools in one place can help save time and create a more useful routine.
Once you’re done screen recording on your MacBook, your video is automatically uploaded to your Droplr dashboard as well as the cloud.
In addition, you’ll receive short links that link to your videos which you can share with anyone anywhere.
When you screen record on a MacBook with the Droplr app, you get access to ‘highlighted mouse clicks,’ which can help you guide a viewer if it’s a demo video.
Record Screen and Audio
With the Droplr app, you can screen record on your MacBook with sound.
Whether you’re using the native MacBook screen recorder, QuickTime, or a 3rd party app, it’s relatively easy to create interactive and unique content. Now that you know how to screen record on a MacBook open it up and get creative.