How to Reset Asus Router – Getting Started
Asus routers are some of the most renowned networking devices today because they guarantee full-throttle wireless performance. Once you’re done setting up the router, you can enjoy both wireless connection (Wi-Fi) and wired connection (Ethernet).
You can connect to the internet with smartphones, laptops, IPads, Smart TVs, Smart Speakers and enjoy hassle-free browsing. However, at time comes when you might need to reset your Asus router for various reasons.
You might have misconfigured your Asus router, and it no longer works as it should be, you might have forgotten the router’s default username and passcode, which are needed to change its settings, or maybe you want to give or sell your Asus router to someone else.
The process of resetting an Asus router may seem straightforward, but you must carefully follow the given steps to avoid other issues, especially if you’ve not been around routers for so long. That said, here are some ways you can use to reset your Asus router.
Resetting The Router Via the Web GUI (Graphical User Interface)
You can reset your Asus router via the web GUI if you can still log into the router admin console. Follow the steps below to make this happen.
- Start by turning on your router.
- Once the router is on, plug one end of a LAN cable to the router and the other end to your laptop or desktop.
- Next, open a web browser of your choice (Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Chrome, etc.)
- Click on the search box and enter https://www.asus.com/us/ or enter the IP address of your router. The default IP address for Asus routers is 192.168.1.1.
- Enter the admin username and password and click on “OK.”
- Next, click on the “Administration” tab on the left side of your screen
- Then on the right side, you will see the “Restore/Save/Upload Setting.” Click on the “Reset” button next to “Factory default.”
- A prompt informing you that “all current settings are deleted” will appear on your screen. Click on “OK” to proceed with the reset.
- Your router will commence the reset process which will take about three minutes. As your router resets, you will see the notification LEDs turn on and off severally.
- Once the reset is done, a setup wizard will be loaded in the web browser.
Resetting The Router Via the Asus Router App
Asus also lets you reset your router using the Asus Router App.
- Start by connecting your smartphone to the Wi-Fi link discharged by the router
- The launch Asus Router App on your smartphone. You can get it on the Apple App Store for iPhone users and Google Play for Android users if you don’t have the app.
- To do this, go to the “Settings” tab in the app and then click on “System Settings.”
- Next, scroll down until you see “Factory Default” and click on it.
- The app will inform you that it will take about three minutes to reset your router. Click on “OK” to commence the reset process.
Once the reset is finished, the Asus Router App can no longer establish a connection with your router until you set up your router all over again.
Performing A Hard Reset Using the Router’s Reset Button
If you can’t reset your router via the Web GUI or the Asus Router App, you can use the reset button on your router to perform a hard reset. This is an effective troubleshooting technique, especially if your router is not working completely.
- Start by turning on your router and ensure the router’s notification LEDs are blinking.
- Find your router’s reset button. Usually, it’s situated on the backside of the router.
- Get a sharp object such as a paperclip to do the reset. Then, press and hold the reset button for roughly 5 to 10 seconds until the router’s notification LEDs start to blink.
- Wait until your router reboots.
Resetting your router takes the router back to the default admin username and password. However, you will most likely want to change the login credentials so that no one else can access your router.
So once you’ve logged into the router, scroll down to the “Advanced Settings” tab and follow the instructions to create a new passcode for your router. Finish this process by clicking on “Apply” to save the changes and log out of the router’s Web GUI.
Note: Never unplug your Asus router from power when the reset process is underway regardless of the resetting process you’re using. This could bring unwarranted problems like malfunctions which is something you don’t want. Even if your Asus router takes longer than usual to reset, just give it some more time or consult the Asus support center.
Resetting your Asus router could be a necessity if you need to solve connection issues or perhaps you’ve forgotten the router’s login credentials. Nonetheless, Asus provides you with a couple of options to reset your router, as illustrated above.