How to Split Screen On Android? Getting Started
Have you ever wished that you could run two applications on your Android smartphone or tablet at the same time? If that’s the case, you’re in luck.
Most new Android phones from more than a dozen different manufacturers now support split-screen mode, which allows you to use and view two apps at the same time.
The Android split-screen feature is relatively easy to use. However, you should note that this feature might drain your battery faster compared to when you run applications manually on your smartphone or tablet.
Not all Android applications can be launched in split-screen mode. Apps that need the entire screen to function, such as games, don’t give you this option.
In addition, split screen mode is not supported by all Android devices. But if you have an Android smartphone or tablet that supports split screen mode, here is how to launch and use two applications at the same time.
Open Two Apps Simultaneously on Android
- Click the ‘Recent Apps’ icon in the bottom left corner of your Home screen, which is denoted by three parallel lines in a square form.
- Next, find the app you wish to use on the split-screen under ‘Recent Apps.’ To launch a menu, press and hold that app. Keep in mind that certain applications aren’t compatible with split-screen mode.
- Then after the menu has launched, click ‘Open in split screen view.’
- The app you chose will show up as a black bar at the top of the screen for a matter of seconds. To use the second app on split screen, click on it.
- Now both apps will appear in split screen mode, and you should be able to transition between them easily. A black bar, identical to the one in step 4, will separate them.
- When you’re ready to quit the split-screen and dismiss one of the applications by pressing and holding the black bar in the middle of the screen, then swipe in the direction of the app you’d like to close.
- Your screen will turn blue for a short while, and the app will shut down.
If you use split-screen a lot, you’ll find that certain programs are better than others when using this feature.
Split-screen works well with apps such as Netflix and YouTube since their video abilities demand minimal interaction.
On the other hand, mobile games that need a lot of attention from the player may not be able to use split-screen.
Open Applications as Pop-Ups
Additional multitasking features are available on some phones and system skins, such as the ability to launch an app as a hovering window, commonly known as the pop-up view.
Samsung’s Pop-up view reduces the chosen app to a tiny window that you can move about the screen while using other apps. To launch pop-up view:
- Go to your recently used applications.
- Click on the icon above the app you’d like to open in pop-up view mode and then click on the ‘Open in pop-up view’ option.
- Now, the app will launch in pop-up mode, which you can resize it as you deem fit.
Troubleshoot Android Split Screen Problems
Follow these steps to troubleshoot your Android smartphone if you can’t access the split-screen function.
Before you go any further, check the features of your phone on the manufacturer’s website to see if it supports the split-screen feature.
If it does, but the feature seems not to be working, you can try the following tips:
- Check if your smartphone has the latest updates: Your phone might be infested by bugs or outdated and just need a software update to function correctly.
- Check your smartphone’s temperature: Most of the time, when a smartphone overheats, it will temporarily deactivate the split-screen feature. Turning off your smartphone for a couple of minutes until it cools down is a good idea.
- Reboot your smartphone: This is the easiest and most popular solution to most issues present on a smartphone or tablet.
- Factory reset your smartphone: This should be your last resort, and you should only do it if you are certain you have a backup of all of your smartphone’s or tablet’s data.
Note: Not all applications are compatible with this feature on Android. Also if you want to use split screen in landscape mode, ensure you activate the ‘Auto Rotate’ setting in the task bar. Then when you split your screen you can turn it horizontally.
As you can see, it’s relatively easy to use the Android split screen feature. And although the split-screen feature comes with high battery demands, it’s an effective way to multitask on your smartphone without switching between apps. So follows the steps above to enable the split-screen feature and multitask like a professional on your Android smartphone.
Screen mirroring iPhone to Projector
Best Mini Projector for iPhone
How to Set Timer on iPhone Camera?
How to Connect HomePod to Wifi?
How to Connect Printer to iPhone?
How to Split Screen on Chromebook?