WhatsApp for PC – Overview
On May 12, 2017, the instant messaging giant WhatsApp announced the release of their desktop version for Windows/Mac machines, which allows users to use their PCs and chat.
As per reports (2021), the user base of WhatsApp in the USA is approximately 33.70 million users.
Hence, with the increasing number of users, more features are demanded. People now want to use WhatsApp on their PCs as well.
You can link 4 devices plus one phone with a feature that no longer needs to be connected to the internet. You don’t have to use WhatsApp only on your phone.
Installing WhatsApp on Your Laptop or PC
You can now download WhatsApp from the official website and install WhatsApp on your computer or laptop. It has a similar user interface and features as WhatsApp Web.
5 Steps to Install WhatsApp on Your PC & Laptop
- You need to visit https://www.whatsapp.com/download and download WhatsApp.
- Depending on your system, choose the 64 bit or 32-bit version and click download.
- Double-click on the software to start the installation.
- Open the WhatsApp application and need to scan the QR code from your mobile.
- Just launch WhatsApp on mobile and tap on Settings>Linked Devices.
As of now, the desktop app requires Windows 8 or higher like Windows 11, Windows 10, and for your Apple computer, you will require macOS 10.9 or higher.
The app synchronizes with WhatsApp on your smartphone.
Unlike the WhatsApp web, it runs natively on your PC, so you will have native desktop notifications support, enhanced keyboard shortcuts, and much more.
6 Features of WhatsApp for PC that You can Look Forward to
Knowing about the features of WhatsApp for PC can help you decide whether it’s suitable for you or not. Hence, let’s get started.
- Free to Use: You can message or call any of your contacts free of cost, whether local or international using WhatsApp. It requires an active internet connection once you register to it using your mobile number.
- Multimedia Sharing: Like your mobile, you can share videos, images or send voice messages to your friends and contacts.
- Group Chat: This facility is also available on your desktop app. You can add or remove participants in group chat and change group names or icons.
- Backup options: WhatsApp works with your phone number and synchronizes flawlessly with your existing contact list or address book. It allows you options to backup your WhatsApp data on google drive or iCloud. You can get access to your WhatsApp data on your PC.
- Complete security: WhatsApp provides end-to-end encryption to the users. You can share your moments or information without stressing about privacy issues. Whatever messages you share with a contact will be accessible only to both of you.
- Voice/Video call: WhatsApp for PC lets you have video or voice calls with your contacts as long as you comply with the calling requirements.
System Requirements Make or Receive Calls on WhatsApp Desktop
- Windows 10 64-bit version 1903 and newer or macOS 10.13 and newer for an Apple Computer
- A headset or audio output device with a microphone.
- Video calls require an active camera connected/enabled on your PC
- Your computer and phone, having an active internet connection.
- The permission to access your computer’s microphone and camera.
The new feature of the WhatsApp desktop doesn’t require your phone to be online as with the WhatsApp web. It offers private and secure one-to-one voice and video calls.
A bigger screen makes it more manageable to work with your colleagues. Desktop calling is more valuable and fun.
It comes with portrait and landscape orientation and a resizable window on your screen.
Your calls still have end-to-end encryption on your PC, so nobody can intrude on hearing or seeing them as the mobile WhatsApp.
The one-to-one calls on the WhatsApp desktop app give you a reliable and high-quality experience.
Note: Group calls aren’t supported on WhatsApp desktop at this time.