Atomos Ninja V External Monitor
You have to consider many aspects before investing in a brand new Nikon D3200 external monitor (also known as an external camera screen).
As the camera comes loaded with some high-end features, the external monitor must match its partner device in every aspect.
Now, when it comes to choosing the best Nikon D3200 external monitor, you may find many options in the market. Yet Atomos Ninja V is an external monitor that is deemed a “perfect fit” for the Nikon D3200 by thousands of customers.
Besides letting you get the right exposure and focus, this external monitor can also help you enhance you’re captured shot’s quality. That is the biggest reason why Atomos Ninja V has outclassed all of its rivals in the same segment by a decent margin.
That said, let’s get some detailed insight into the key specifications and features of this Nikon D3200 external camera screen.
We may earn an affiliate commission when you purchase through links on our site.
Atomos Ninja V 5" 4K HDMI Recording Monitor with WD Blue SSD(500GB) Essential Bundle – Includes: Atomos 5" Accessory Kit + Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
Key specifications of Atomos Ninja V
- Supported Video formats: Apple ProRes HQ, 422, LT AVID DNxHR HQX. HQ, SQ, LB. 4K DCI and UHD 24/25/30/50/60p, 2K and1080p 24/25/30/50/60/100/120p; 1080 50/60i, 720p 50/60p
- Screen specifications: 5-inch touchscreen, 1920×1080, 3D LUT support, 2x, 13x, 1.33x, Panasonic 8:3 anamorphic desqueeze
- Maximum Brightness: 1000 nits
- Memory: 2.5-inch SSD/ HDD
- Audio support: 12 channels 24-bit 98kHz
- Available connecting ports: Line/ mic-in, 3.5mm headphone out, HDMI in/ out, remote, AtomX expansion port
- Battery: Sony L series battery with 2-3 hours of backup
Design and build quality
You can call Atomos Ninja V the best Nikon D3200 external monitor for many reasons. The design is similar to a small tablet, with dimensions standing 3.6 by 5.9 by 1.2 inches with an 11.3 ounces weight.
The aluminum frame provides it with a strong and sturdy look in the front. The external monitor has full-size HDMI input and output ports on the left side of the camera plate. On the right side, you will get 3.5mm headphone and microphone inputs, with a 2.5mm remote control connector and a power button.
This Nikon D3200 external monitor also brings in standard quarter-twenty tripod threads on both the top and bottom sides of the camera plate.
Its 5-inch touchscreen boasts a bright panel that has a maximum capacity of 1000 nits, so you can easily monitor your shots even under bright and sunny conditions.
The screen further has a 1080p resolution, and you can set it to display focus peaking, waveforms, and more. Additionally, it allows you to use the LUT preview while clicking the shot with a Log profile.
The touch feature is quite responsive and doesn’t lag even in damp conditions. Speaking of the menu settings, you can easily switch it to be used as a monitor, recorder, or playback device. The user can manage set in and out points while adding other metadata to clips to speed up the post-production process.
This Nikon D3200 external monitor also comes with a screen lock function that the user can set according to their photography requirements.
You may find this external monitor a bit complex on the first go. Yet, it will turn out to be a user-friendly device with every usage. While most of the features are self-explanatory, the audio meters and input/output settings may puzzle you initially. Still, the device is easy to use and you can find it compatible enough with your Nikon D3200 on the first day.
As you use this Nikon D3200 external monitor, the HDMI output function comes as the only disappointment. As per the reviews posted by some customers on amazon.com, the manufacturers said that the HDMI feature might not go well with certain devices.
Discussing its performance with the Nikon D3200, you may get a video quality of 8-bit 4:2:2 4K at up to 30fps. While the Nikon D3200 uses an H.264, the Atomos Ninja V utilizes better-quality codecs i.e. DNxHD or ProRes, with better compression levels.
- Unlock maximum bit-rate and bit-depth from the camera’s video signal
- Perfectly bright 5-inch LCD screen
- Capability to record RAW signals
- Enhance the quality of captured shots
- Boasts high-end features like frame lines, anamorphic squeeze, and 3D LUT capability
- Long battery life (Up to 2 hours on a 5200mAh battery)
- Available add-on ports include broadcast delivery (Ethernet/NDI module) and wireless timecode (Sync module).
- HDMI only
- Noisy internal fan
- Mic inputs are only compatible with powered microphones.
The Ninja V is undoubtedly the best Nikon D3200 external monitor on the market. Even though you may find it high in price, the effective and efficient performance delivery makes it worth the investment. Besides, it gives you more out of your Nikon D3200 during every shooting session.
Considering all aspects, we would like to give a “Big Thumbs Up” to this Nikon D3200 external monitor. Moreover, do let us know about your feedback in the comments section and we will try our best to include it in our future posts.