Zigbee Devices – Overview
Zigbee is one of the leading protocols that helps smart home hubs control your home tech. Zigbee can form a mesh network to connect all the devices. With the help of this connection, the devices can communicate with each other. Zigbee networks can also serve as an alternative to Z-Wave or Wi-Fi networks that operate on the 2.4 GHz band.
This mesh network formed by Zigbee can alleviate the requirement of connecting multiple hubs to one router. It can connect different devices with the help of wireless nods and cover a larger area.
What is Zigbee?
Zigbee can be considered a technology of home networking. It is a technological standard that was created to sense and control networks. It can indicate the requirement for the low-cost implementation of different low-power devices to establish short-range wireless communications.
Zigbee generally operates based on an IP layer called 802.14.4-2006. With Zigbee, a device can communicate within a maximum of 300+ meters. Zigbee 3.0, the current version, gets some benefits from 128-bit symmetrical encryption.
However, some claim that the way Zigbee handles its encryption keys may have some vulnerabilities. Zigbee often works at 2.4GHz; it can boost the transfer rates. This way, Zigbee can fire round data at 250 kbps, which is really good.
3 Different Types of Zigbee Devices
There are multiple types of Zigbee devices.
1. Zigbee coordinator device: These devices can communicate with routers. Their primary work is to connect multiple devices.
2. Zigbee routers: They generally help pass data between devices.
3. Zigbee end device: you can call the controlled device a Zigbee end device.
16 Best Zigbee Devices
Here are some of the best Zigbee devices that can make your life easier-
1. Zigbee smart hub: allow you to connect multiple devices
2. Zigbee Mesh Wi-Fi: allow you to connect 75+ devices with a Wi-Fi connection
3. Zigbee voice assistant: allow you to control different devices with your voice
4. Zigbee light switch: you can use it to connect different types of installed lights
5. Zigbee thermostat: compatible with electric, forced air, gas furnace, and heat pump systems
6. Zigbee monitor sensor: you can use it for motion detector security cameras and to automate your home lights with motion
7. Zigbee smart plug: extend the range of Zigbee devices within the network
8. Zigbee smart lock: boost home security
9. Zigbee window and door sensor: detect any movement of your door and windows
10. Zigbee scene controller: allow you to manage anything at your home without moving
11. Zigbee smoke alarm siren detector: smoke and fire detection
12. Zigbee outdoor spotlights: weatherproof spotlights with color changing system
13. Zigbee smart bulb: lights for your home with color and temperature customization
14. Zigbee water leak detector: can detect water at the bottom of electronic devices
15. Zigbee light strips: add an extra layer of colorful lighting
16. Zigbee smart lamp dimmer: can adjust the brightness of different types of bulbs
How to Set Up Zigbee?
Setting up a smart home by connecting multiple devices can be extremely challenging for most people. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you set up your Zigbee ecosystem –
Step 1: Selecting a Backbone
First, you need to find a central gadget to get yourself started with the Zigbee ecosystem. This central gadget will work as the backbone of your network. This gadget will also help you to control all the devices from a single application. You can use a starter kit for your device to make the whole process easier.
This gadget can ensure you can communicate with all your devices using the software you are using. It will also help you to connect your system to the internet. With internet access, it is possible to control a smart home from anywhere at any time.
Step 2: Select Your Devices
Now all you need to do is select the devices you want to use in your smart home. Start with a few gadgets to develop the connection and familiarize yourself with the process. Of course, you can always choose some automated process to control some of your devices.
For example, you can choose your voice to control the lights and your smartphone to control the temperature settings.
The gadgets you buy for your smart home should be compatible enough with the Zigbee protocol. So select your devices carefully when you want to create a Zigbee ecosystem.
Characteristics of Zigbee
- The power consumption is low
- Short range (75-100 meters)
- The data rate is low (20-250 kbps)
- Low duty cycle
- Support all large and small networks
- Cheap implementation and low-cost products
- 3 frequency bands with 27 channels
Advantages of Zigbee Devices
- Zigbee can offer application and security support services
- Zigbee can lower the power consumption
- You can build a smart home using Zigbee
- The implementation is quite easier
- Zigbee can offer adequate security features
- Zigbee can develop a network at your home to connect all the devices and help them communicate.
Different Applications of Zigbee
- Collecting medical data
- Home automation
- Meter reading system
- Commercial uses
- Industrial control system
- Light control system
- Home networking
- Government markets worldwide
Different Zigbee Products
Here is a list of the best brands that you can choose for using Zigbee-
- Amazon Echo
- Bosch Security Systems
- Belkin WeMo
- Honeywell thermostats
- Ikea Trådfli
- Samsung SmartThings
- Philips Hue (Signify)
- Senic Outdoor Switch
- Samsung Comcast Xfinity box
- Innr smart lights
Zigbee devices can help you control all your tech at home from anywhere at any time. Several Zigbee devices are available in the market to serve different requirements and make your life easier.